Communications expert with demonstrated ability to create effective messages, and use Internet, print, and new media, to package and deliver the information that people could use to make buying decisions. Strong interpersonal skills have built external and internal relationships and teams, and created competitive advantage for startup, turnaround, and mature enterprise marketing, consulting, and publishing entities in computer technology.
2010-Present Juniper Networks Corporate Marketing, Senior Web Editor
Manage messaging content, structure, and strategy, for product and solutions pages for company's wide array of large-scale networking hardware and software products. Work with business groups, information architects, web publishers, and other marketing groups to optimize the information and messaging strategies for Juniper.NET.
2008-2010 Sun Microsystems Brand and Marketing: Editor in Chief, Sun.COM
· Built and managed a virtual team of business unit staff members at Sun Microsystems to produce the content required by a market-segmented web structure; eliminated the need for a $100,000 per year staff member.
· Transformed bland, unread, text-only, Sun Microsystems web pages into colorful, energized, and well-read, hybrid formats. New pages leveraged multimedia assets, blogs, and social media, to better deliver the information technology buyers needed.
· Created the messaging to market Sun hardware integrated into the Oracle enterprise IT stack, developed the web pages for it, and created the Oracle Stack brand.
· Developed the news page for Sun Microsystems web site that used stories to promote the most important news, and helped journalists find current press releases, positioned executive blogs for promotional purposes, and integrated Sun's news with social media.
2001-2008 Consultant: Editor, Writer, Analyst
Developed a lucrative consulting practice focused on messaging and publishing projects in the technology industry and other areas.
· Created MessagingPipeline.com to address the rapid growth of electronic messaging and security problems. Included news and technology product information about email, instant messaging, collaboration technology, unified messaging, and telepresence, and messaging security issues and solutions.
· Invented a "web-ready" press release format that enabled time- and resource-starved web site editors to cut-and-paste most of the release copy directly into their story templates. Used the format for several of them for a consumer electronics company.
· Created SmartCompany.com to inform small business owners about the PC, web and messaging technologies and products that enabled their businesses to take advantage of enterprise tools to look larger, and be more profitable.
· Wrote expert witness briefs and wrote the deposition analyses that enabled Attorneys Sullivan & Cromwell to build its defense for Microsoft in a California class action suit.
· Researched and wrote white papers and other reports on business process management topics including knowledge management, supply chain management, performance management, and customer relationship management, for consulting companies.
· Wrote "The New Anti-Virus Formula" and "The Email Security Glossary of Terms", as well as speeches and presentations to support the marketing of an Internet security company.
· Produced editorial for DevX to demonstrate the superiority of AMD microprocessor multithreading using customer applications, technology briefs, program examples, AMD expert interviews, and integration with Sun Microsystems hardware and software.
2000-2001 eMachines, Inc: Senior VP, Internet & Software Business Unit
Managed the company's array of consumer software
and Internet products delivered with eMachines PCs, with a sales, marketing,
· Supervised the orderly, humane, and cost-effective, shutdown of the division to help the company prepare for its eventual acquisition by Gateway.
1997-2000 Freedom TMG / Curtco-Freedom Group: VP, Editorial Director
· Managed the acquisition of Small Business Computing and Home Office Computing, and optimized staff resources to create improved editorial for the magazines, enabling ad pages to grow, and costs to be reduced.
· Launched Knowledge Management magazine and managed its editorial staff, along with staffs of CRM and Field Force Automation magazines.
1984-1997 Ziff-Davis Publishing Company
· Created PC Magazine Labs and developed the script- and benchmark-based testing procedures, and comparative product testing editorial environment, that enabled the magazine to become the industry standard for enterprise technology buying decisions.
· Transformed Computer Shopper Magazine from a hobbyist publication to one that delivered solid technology buying advice to enterprises, a move that created an enterprise market for mail-order PC companies, such as Dell, Gateway, and Northgate, and grew circulation from 235,000 to 600,000, while ad pages grew from 275 to 750.
Prior Career History
· Positions held in computer technology, technology writing and editing, banking and finance, and university teaching.
Master of Arts, Economics, Rutgers University
Bachelor of Arts, Economics, Antioch College